Monday 14 March 2011

Paper Sculptures

Here are some assorted paper sculptures made in workshops.

Richard showed us how to pleat paper, and this was my take on it. It took me a while, but over all it creates a simple and effective structure which clearly fits in with the 'repeat' theme. However, in this project I'm hoping to create more curved and flowing sculptures, so I personally cannot see this technique fitting in with my final piece, although I shall have to see.


For this I created a template (shown on the right) and drew the triangle out (on the left). This technique can be used to make nets, which ultimately fold up into shapes.


I continued to draw triangles around the original triangle to create a simple next which is shown in the right - hand picture to fold up into a 3d equilateral triangle.


I decided to take this further and draw out a bigger net this time, with no inclination into what shape would be produced from it. The net can be seen at the top 2 of the 4 pictures, and the 2 lower pictures are two outcomes of folding the triangles up, and joining them to one another. Again, due to the repetition of shapes in it, I think this fits in nicely with the repeat theme.


In the above pictures I decided to incorporate the nets into the pleating, this time opting for a crescent shape. Pleating such a small and delicate shape was hard, and over all I felt that the outcome wasn't very pleasing - however I think that with adjustments it could become possibly a wave-like shape.


I then created a template for a more curved shape, and made a net of three. I then curved them and joined them together to create flowing shapes. This sculpture reminds me of a flock of birds, or a group of doves to be more specific, and I think I shall take this route of flocks/groups of natural forms or animals in my final piece, as it is a brilliant example of repetition in nature.


Here I decided to combine my dove-like sculpture with the triangular netted sculpture, which I think has a nice outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment