Monday 14 March 2011

Repetition research

I decided it would be best if I did some research and found repetitive patterns in the world, which could be used for inspiration for my final piece.



A flock of doves: this ties in with one of my earlier test sculptures. I think creating a bird-like shape and repeating it to symbolise some sort of flock or group would make for an interesting final piece.







These are just a few simple images of plant repetition. Indeed they are simple but the repetition is very effective and I think taking inspiration from these types of images and structures could prove to create a good 3D sculpture.

designer white coat hangers

Some designer coat hangers - although not a natural form, I think the shape created by the coat hangers is brilliant, and really gives a flowing feel. It is also a perfect example of how repetition of one structure can create other images. For example, here I see some sort of spine with vertebrae jutting off. The plain white colouring also helps me to imagine this sort of sculpture in paper.



Just a simple image of repeated wooden posts in the sea.











On the subject of water I decided to research some waves, as I think that due to the nature of paper, wave like shapes could be created easily through curling the paper or scoring or cutting it, twisting it an then letting it fall. I also moved from waves onto ripples, which are a simple circular repetition, which could be reproduced through pleating.



From my earlier post about flocks of birds being a very good source of natural repetition, I decided to do research into it and I have found that flocks of starlings (see below) are the best source of this. In formation they twist and repeat to create incredible shapes, that I think could have quite an impact on my final piece.







I also took the time to have a look at schools of fishes, quite a similar sort of approach as the flocks of birds.





No comments:

Post a Comment